22.10.06

Reunion!


One of the assistants here had a birthday and this Saturday was the bash. It was wonderful to see everyone from the stage and hear that they were indeed surviving life in the boonies. It's still strange for people to talk about how big Amiens is, because you can walk everywhere on foot or take a bus, it's nothing like Seattle. But I guess compared to the 6 families and a cow kind of towns, it's a bustling metropolis.


In other news, I realized just how french I am becoming when I looked in my refrigerator and saw that even though I don't have any food and really need to go shopping, I still had 4 varieties of cheese: cambert, gouda, emmental and le vache qui rire :-) I think one of the things I'll miss most when I leave France is the abundance of cheese and fresh bread.


It's good, though. I've been here for over a month, and things are starting to settle down just a bit. It's still majorly emotionally draining but my french is improving! And I was told that my accent isn't too bad, and that it's charming. Yay! This is ostly thanks to convo lessons from my friend Khar, from Senegal. She is also an amazing cook!

Well, tomorrow I go back to classes, I haven't seen these particular ones for over a week so I have no clue what I'm supposed to be doing. Tuesday is pumpkin carving day at St. Maurice, and then Wednesday is the start of the Touissant vacation! Vive la France. I am going up to Ireland with another assistant who has family in Cork. I still am not sure how to thank her for letting me stay with them! I wish I had more European connections, I guess I will just have to forge them as I go.

I guess the only other news is bad news, I'm still feeling pretty sick and half of my neck is unsightly and swollen. Reeeeally don't want to go to the doctor though, so maybe the fresh sea air of Ireland will cure my ills. One can hope! But if not that'll be another paperwork inferno story when I get back. Oh joy.

No comments: