8.9.06

there in San Francisco, above the blue & windy sea


Note: To the right is a circle of hell that Dante somehow missed, i.e. the consulat general. I'd stick it in between circles 6 and 7, where non-frenchies are forever bringing piles of paperwork up to a little window, and are summarily rejected for increasing implausible reasons.

So I am back from San Francisco and have succesfully obtained my visa!  Sure I was missing a bunch of paperwork and stamps, but the only snag I encountered was having my ID photo's paper dismissed as too thin. How terribly...french? Had a interesting time trying to get replacements, visited three Walgreens before I found one that had a photo machine that wasn't broken (what are the odds?) and generally just more hassle and improbably bad luck that I'm coming to associate with the French beauracratic proccess, bad luck that lingers over your head like a raincloud as you leave the consulat and go back to your daily life, in short: I got my visa.  The photo is probably my worst yet!

(To the left, I imitate my visa portrait in a dark Chinese resturant.)

Other than that San Francisco was great. I got to see Jenn, my roomate from Mississippi, and eat her parent's awesome home-grown vegetables fresh off the barbeque, and lounge in her hot tub and visit Pacific beaches. I think it'd be pretty hard to adjust to the California lifestyle. What with all the sun and the fog creeping across the bay, the awesome art-deco architecture, the free-wheeling hippie ways of San Francisco, it'd be impossible to enjoy living there. So if things don't work out in France, you know exactly where I wont be.


Actually it's a decided possibility. And I'll be sure to wear flowers in my hair.


One last thing: I've heard from France! I will be living in....... Amiens! The city itself. Also, there is housing reserved for me for the first 9 days and I will be teaching at l'école Jules Lefebvre, l'école St Maurice et l'école Jules Verne.

pretty sweet, huh? ahh OUI!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

L'ecole Jules Verne, eh? I must say that your profile picture matches perfectly the school--you look like an adventurer blazing through new ground, loping from slope to slope like that imaginary animal with two legs longer than the other two to better stand on mountains.

Of course, really any school named after a famous french author would be perfect for you. L'ecole Voltaire covers your biting sarcasm. L'ecole Dumas for your affinity for swashbuckling romances and incredible novelistic devices. And l'ecole Victor Hugo would have been a wonderful tribute to your hunchback. You're the literal interpretation of all french literature! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

ah shazza,

you have entered
the
blog-dome

welcome.

i look forward to
reading
your brilliant
posts
from
france!

press on!
hike out!

Robb said...

I am very much looking forward to reading your musings over the next year.

Here's to safety blankets!

Jana said...

That is a beautiful pic of the San Francisco bridge!