14.10.06

souvenez-moi ?

grrr, i am still sick! my nose is like a dripping faucet. classes are going pretty well except for 1 in which i can't make myself heard over the din to tell them to shut up & listen. apparently the french teachers have about the same luck with them, so i don't feel too bad.

it's been a tough week, though. i knew it would be lonely at times, especially considering how much free time i have and how little money, but i didn't expect it would be this difficult to make french friends. it's cultural...relationships here are really tight-knit because they start forming at age 2 or 3. and the idea of just randomly making a new friend isn't really on people's minds. so i know everyone at home is busy busy busy with classes and work and actually having a life but if you could please just give me a call sometime, or send me a card, or drop me a line, etc., at this point it would pretty much make my week, if not month. the other assistants i've talked to kind of have the same thing going on. so up and down! every single day.

i may start baking again, even though i'm not sure if i can afford it. also i'm looking at going to ireland over our fall break, but once again finances pose a problem as i have no clue when i get my first paycheck. but another assistant has family and cork so she might join me for part of the time, which would be great. now about to go buy some shoes that i'm not sure i can afford either (noticing a theme?) but my sneakers are shot and they're all i've got. and then make chocolate chip bar cookies or something. & hopefully not eat the whole pan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does sound like a roller-coaster with all the ups and downs and being sick doesn't help at all. Hope you are feeling better SOON. Lots of love and prayers from this spot on the globe!

Anonymous said...

Oh man. We really need to talk now. Is it sad that I have no idea where you buy a good phone card? I suppose the Verizon store at the mall would probably be a good place to start, huh.

Buck up! Or at least remember that per usual my life is up and down as well in terms of friends / loneliness except in an even more retarded way (meaning I have no good reason whereas you, moving to a whole other country have every reason).

xoxo.

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear from you again...I bet things will start looking up when you are feeling healthy again (being sick has a way of making everything look/feel more bleak...) try to take each day at a time and look for little opportunities to connect with a fellow teacher or student or neighbor. Have you gone to church yet? that may be another way to "connect" with someone with similar interest... You can do it!
Love and prayers, Rita O