2.10.06



Il pleut sur mon coeur comme il pleut sur la ville… trying to figure out Amien’s weather patterns is proving difficult. It was a warm Saturday so I didn’t take a jacket or umbrella when I explored the canal district w/another assistant that night, and then we got caught in a ridiculously cold downpour, and had to hide in a dubious alley for almost 20 minutes before it stopped just as abruptly as it had started. The good news is we did find an acceptably Irish Irish pub…true I think I was the most Irish of anyone there (all French students) but they did have cider. Yay!



Sunday Matt (the other assistant) and I went to Paris, I got a book at Shakespeare and Co. and the Pompidou Center had a free exhibit that was too artsy for me really, but at least it was free. And there was a street magician outside that was pretty cool. He stuffed three children in a box and thrust flaming spears through it. Not sure how the trick worked, or how European mothers are so relaxed about handing their children over to anyone with an audience, much less flaming spears.

Today went around and visited all my schools and met the teachers. Had the quintessentially French administrative conversation… “Have you signed your contract yet?” “I was told you were supposed to give me the contract.” “No, we haven’t heard anything about your contract.” Arghhhhh. And another bummer, STILL waiting for my French bankcard and checks to come so I can buy the cell phone plan I want. I decided, if it doesn’t come tomorrow I’m going to break down and buy a pay-as-you-go plan, even if it is more expensive in the long run.

All the kids at my schools were fun though. I like the CE2s best, they’re only 7-8 and were totally amazed to have a real American standing in the middle of their classroom. I didn’t realize I was such a rare quantity. Off now in search of smaller blue jeans, (and an umbrella) and all the bus plans I can get my hands on as two of my schools are waaaay north of where I live. The other is 2 blocks down the street. Of course I spend 1h30 there and 10h30 at the other two. (That’s how we roll in France.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

buy an ... umbrella!?

this coming
from a
washingtonian?

alas. you have become french. :D

be glad you are far away from college life... i am going to take the gre ... again. oimoi!