26.9.06

les escaliers du mort

Not much to relate today, but I do have pictures of my new house! Alice (the woman I live with) was a dj and ran a music business when she lived in Portugal, so my breakfast routine now consists of croissants, tea, and crazy club techno. It's a good way to wake up! Also gives me the motivation to climb back up the stairs of death once I'm through.



I met some other assistants last night, and also a girl from Senegal. That was pretty fun, although I'd forgotten how loud a group of Americans can be. We went out to get dinner and we got plenty of stares. But I now know a place that serves awesome chicken tiki sandwiches. Sweet! Tomorrow all the assistants in the whole area are meeting in front of the train station to go to our stage, which is what they call orientations here. It's on the coast, it should be lovely, and supposedly they're going to tell us all what's going on. I'm glad I didn't wait to hear back from any of the program contacts, though, it seems like everyone has a different story or has heard different things about housing, etc. I think the best approach is just to expect to do everything on your own. It's all that's happened so far!

On that note I am going to the préfécture later on today, to take and number and hopefully get a chance to make an appointment to find out what all paperwork I need so I will be able to leave this country and be able to re-enter it legally. Blech, so much paperwork! There’s a saying here that goes something like "you’re nothing without your papers." So true, so so so true. And tonight I’m going shopping! Figuring out euro sizes will hopefully not be to demoralizing. I’ve shrunk quite a bit just from walking so much! The guys here are like toothpicks. Fortunately with enough nutella, crêpes, and croissants, I should be able to avoid that state ;)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

be thankful that you are far enough away from me right now so that i don't try to force you to eat a failed cookie attempt. they didn't erm... rise?

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed your call yesterday; I was in brass choir. I need your number so I can call you. (I have a phone card) Good luck with your paperwork!...And think of me because I'm stuck in Elllensburg...